Title: Managing Attorney
Phone – DFW: 817-225-6561
Phone – Houston: 832-795-1909
Jeff is a registered Patent Attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He is primarily from the western United States but has lived overseas for a number of years.
Jeff received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Arizona State University in 2005. He was an engineer for a number of years at a number of large corporations before pursuing his law degree. He graduated from Texas A&M University School of Law (formerly Texas Wesleyan University School of Law) with a J.D. in 2010. By combining his education and prior work experience into the field of intellectual property law, Jeff has developed key skills to fully assist clients.
Areas of Expertise
Jeff represents parties in all forms of intellectual property matters including patent law, trademark law, copyright law, and trade secret law. He has experience handling both U.S. and international intellectual property matters and has spent time living in Europe working with local counsel on a number of matters before the European Patent Office.
The ability to be honest and up front with clients is vital to Jeff in counseling clients. His approach is to maintain open communication with the client and keep the client informed and educated concerning their matter. Complementing his experience and legal training, Jeff is attuned to the human dimension of the practice of law. He is a great listener, open, and honest. These skills enable Jeff to quickly understand his client’s end-goals and confidently advocate for his clients.
In his spare time Jeff is a family man, having a wife and six children. His activities generally focus on whatever the children desire to do.
Areas of Practice
- 70% Patent Law
- 20% Trademark Law
- 10% Other Intellectual Property Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Patent Attorney, United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2010, Reg. #: 67374
Honors & Awards
- Named a “Texas Super Lawyer, Rising Star” for 2016, 2017, and 2018. “Super Lawyers” is a Thomson-Reuters service printed in Texas Monthly.
- Texas, 2011
- United States Supreme Court, 2014
- Texas A&M University School of Law, Fort Worth, Texas
- J.D. – 2010
- Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
- B.S. – 2005
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Focus: Thermal and Energy System Design; Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
Past Employment Positions
- Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, Aerospace Engineer, 2006 – 2008
- SCA Packaging-Thermosafe ISC Labs, Project Engineer-Thermal, 2005 – 2006
- Honeywell, 2005
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Patent Attorney at local technology incubators
Intellectual Property Experience
- Patent and trademark prosecution, including: preparation and prosecution of U.S., PCT, and foreign applications; preparation of patentability opinions, validity opinions, and infringement opinions; and client counseling related to IP assets and strategies
- Representative arts: Energy systems, sustainable energies, aviation systems and structures; composite structures; flight control software, hardware, and interfaces; oil and gas well drilling and production equipment; medical devices; firearms and accessories; sporting goods; and automated detection systems